I earned both my undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Tennessee and have worked in the mental health field for 28 years.
As a trauma specialist, I utilize Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), an evidence-based treatment and comprehensive therapy. My clinical interests and expertise include anxiety and panic disorders, phobias and fears, stress management, grief, PTSD, recent/single incident trauma, medical and birth related trauma, as well as developmental and relationship trauma. I enjoy seeing insights occur and feel privileged to have the opportunity to partner with people as they make changes in their lives.
My Approach & Values
My therapy style is supportive, trauma sensitive, and interactive. My own personal experience overcoming trauma gives me a deep empathy and understanding with my clients. Raising two athletes that now compete at a collegiate level, also gives me insight into the pride and pressures of being a competitive athlete.
Commitment to the Community
I co-coordinate the East TN chapter of the Trauma Recovery Network through the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Programs (HAP). The East TN TRN maintains a network of EMDR clinicians trained in the EMDR Early Intervention protocols who are available to respond to local events involving gun and interpersonal violence. Services are made available to adults, children, and groups who have been impacted by these events.
We also provide opportunities to educate local communities and their leaders on the efficacy of EMDR therapy employed as part of an early intervention response to trauma.
Witnessing the positive shifts in my EMDR clients in session, inspired me to seek out advanced training in this powerful modality.
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) for EMDR Therapists, Bruce Hersey, LCSW 2019
- Mindfulness, Attunement, and Resonance in EMDR Treatment of Complex PTSD, Irene R. Siegel, Ph.D., LCSW 2019
- Polyvagal Theory: A Foundation for EMDR Therapy, Barbara Horne MASc, RP, RMFT, 2019
- Effectively Tracking Resiliency Using a Somatic Focus, Craig Penner, LMFT, 2019
- Demystifying and Humanizing Dissociation in EMDR Therapy Practice, Jamie Marich, Ph.D., 2019
- Ethics and Supervision in EMDR Therapy, Anna Schott, LISW-S and Suzi Rutti, LISW-S, 2020
- The Dance of Attachment: An EMDR Relational Approach, Deany Laliotis, LICSW, LCSW-C, 2020
- Recent Event Protocol With Homicide Survivors and Victims of Other Violent Crimes, 2021
- Integrating Creative Art Therapies and EMDR with Complex Clients 2021
- “Did I Lock the Door,” Treating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with EMDR Therapy Informed by Exposure & Response Prevention and Ego State Therapy, Sandra Paulson, Ph.D., current training
- EMDR Therapy Protocols For Early Intervention And Ongoing Traumatic Stress 2022
- Licensed Clinical Social, State of Tennessee, LSW 3586
- Certified EMDR Therapist
- EMDRIA Approved Consultant